dress - swap maine!
shoes - cynthia vincent for target
hair - jenny at akari
every friday throughout the summer, akari is having event. this was the first one. we had mini fashion shows throughout the afternoon and had discounts on services. we all wore black and white and got major hair! this is one of the perks of my job. it is fun to go to work and spend the first hour getting dolled up.
the more important thing about this post is this dress (note: i wore the dress with the brown wedges to give it an updated, non-costume look). i got it from swap maine. inside this amazing vintage dress is a label, ilgwu, standing for the international ladies' garment workers union. i wont go on here about facts about this union, but when you get a chance, look it up! what i will say is that i find it really cool to own something with this label. as i was reading about it, i found there was a commercial in the 70s about looking for the label before you buy something and of course it came with a song:
- Look for the union label
- When you are buying a coat, dress, or blouse,
- Remember somewhere our union's sewing,
- Our wages going to feed the kids and run the house,
- We work hard, but who's complaining?
- Thanks to the ILG, we're paying our way,
- So always look for the union label,
- It says we're able to make it in the USA!